Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Fact or Fiction? Find out here...

I'm here today to address the "Urban Myth" that says men don't listen to women. When I say 'address' I mean to tell you that it is ABSOLUTELY TRUE!! I don't mean in a universal if-the-male-species-would-respect-the-female-species-the-world-would-be-a-better-place sense, I mean my husband doesn't listen to me when I speak.

Now I will readily admit, if words were passed out on a daily ration, I would probably use mine up by noon. That is, I talk a lot. I know this. I'm not proud, but I know. However, on this most recent occasion, that was not the case. We were in between television programs, having a polite little "How was your day?" moment. Let's see if I can recreate it for you.

Me: I got third place in that poker tournament I was playing when you got home.
Him: Cool. Good job.
Me: I won $5.
Him: Awesome.
Me: You know I started with only $3 in that account and I got it up to $29, but now I'm down to about $14.

This is about the point where I realized he had no idea that I was even still speaking. He was going through the program directory on the cable. I pushed on just to make sure.

Me: I'm hoping I can get it up to about $50.

Still nothing. I recognize the fact that this is not the most groundbreaking conversation ever to take place. It's not fascinating, it's not exciting, but it's something I'm interested in, and darnit, I just wanted some freaking conversation with my husband. Here's what happened next:

Me: Oh yeah, and I found out today that I'm pregnant with triplets.
Him: whaaahhh?

In case there's a non-married person reading this, I'll translate. "Whaaahhh" is the sound a married man makes when he's roused from whatever terribly important thing he's thinking or doing when he realizes his wife has said something he should hear but hasn't heard. It's sort of a cross between what and huh. It's not really interest, or shock, or even recognition. I think it's just a sound his neck makes sometimes when he turns his head in my direction.

I asked him if he had any idea what I had said, and he says "Something about third place." I just threw up my hands in exaspiration. He said he didn't realize he was supposed to reply to any of the rest. As if that means I don't care if he even listens!!

It's not that I expect him to hang on my every word. I don't pretend to be the most enthralling person in the world. I would just like him to hear the words that come out of my mouth.

Well, thank goodness for blogs. I feel better getting that out of my system. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband more than anything. This isn't even worth us fighting about. It's just worth one blog-rant. And now I'm good. =)

1 Comments:

Blogger MelissaL88 said...

Oh girl..I am SOOOOO there with you. It usually involves my dh playing one of his stupid computer games (oops...did I really say that???) and me trying to have a conversation with him. It usually ends up in me saying..."Nevermind, I'll stop bothering you now." BTW, we'll be married 7 years in February, so it really doesn't get much better.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home