Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'm a good little bleeder!

So I went to give blood yesterday. Our city was having a blood drive called "Battle of the Badges." It was a friendly little competition between the police dept. and the fire dept. to see who could get the most friends and family members to donate. I am a very proud daughter of a HFD Battalion Chief, so I just had to go do my part for the firemen.

When the lady gave me the little squeezy ball thing and started drawing my blood, she said, "You've got a really good vein, so this won't take long." Well she was right. The little hand out they give you said it would take 6 to 10 minutes to draw the blood. About four and a half minutes later she said, "You're done! Stop squeezing!" They got me all disconnected and a little old lady volunteer came over to 'help' me over to the cantina. She asked me if I wanted her to carry my purse, and I was thinking, Lady, I'm not sure you could even lift my purse! I wasn't the least bit dizzy or lightheaded, but I was a good girl and I ate my cinnamon roll and sat there the required 15 minutes. Giving blood is one of those rare situations where being a nice sturdy girl is really an advantage. There was this little bitty skinny thing there who'd finished giving blood about the time I got in the screening line, and she nearly passed out about three times. I've never had that problem.

The Red Cross seriously needs to check into changing the tape they use to bandage you after you give blood. When I took it off my arm, about three layers of skin came with it. That hurt ten times as much as that needle! Even today -- nearly 24 hours later -- I still have a big red welt in the exact shape as that stupid tape! It's all sore like a burn. Is that much sticking power really necessary to hold that tiny piece of guaze?? Really??

So hubby's going back to work tomorrow. I'm so happy! I hope it doesn't make his ankle too sore, but if we had to live on just my paycheck for much longer, we'd be in serious trouble! We're still waiting to hear on the job he interviewed for, so don't uncross those fingers just yet!

My best friend, Teri, is trying to get me to sign up for a Yoga class at the Y with her. I'm not sure about it. I'd love to do yoga, but I'm not sure I'm keen on learning yoga in front of all of those people I don't know. I've never really been famous for my grace. =) I guess we'll see what happens. She's going to put Leah in gymnastics and soccer, so I'm excited about all of the cute photos I'll get to scrap.

Well, I've been working on this post forever, so I suppose it's time to wrap it up. Until next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam Healy said...

Yea for giving blood!
I really need to get back in that habit--it really takes so little time, and yet it does so much!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home